Saturday, August 10, 2013

PST Week 10: Moving out, Swearing In, Supervisor Conference, and Site delivery

Moving out 8/6: 
I was a crying mess :( It was very hard saying goodbyes to my host family. They have been amazing for the past 9 weeks! My host mom was trying to make me feel better by saying that things in the north are cheaper hahah I'm definitely going to go back to Namaacha to visit every chance I get. 

Swearing In 8/6:


My fancy invitation to my own swear in ceremony :)

Singing the Mozambique and US national anthems
Swearing in oath

Moz 20 with PC Country Director Carl Swartz, Ambassador Griffiths, and Mocambique Government Representative Sr. Mauricio dos Santos

Finally a PCV!! Milestone mark! :)
Supervisor Conference 8/8-9:
I met my counterparts for the first time and had 2 days conference in Portuguese with them in Nampula. They're very nice and seems excited to have us. I was really nervous about this conference but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. During the conference, we talked about what Peace Corps is, their roles as supervisors, our roles as volunteer, expectations, policies, etc. 
Our supervisors at Wiwanana
Site delivery 8/10:
It was a 4ish hours ride from Nampula to Chiure and then another 45min-1hr ride from Chiure to Ancuabe. We stopped in Chiure for awhile so that I can visit the Wiwanana office there and meet the director. I also got to stop by the mercado to buy some vegetables since it's a bit cheaper in Chiure and drove by Elizabeth's new house.

Ancuabe is 7km from the main cross road and on the way there, it really felt like it's in the middle of no where. It's a small town and everyone seems nice so far. I can't wait to get to see more and meet more people in my new community.  (I'd be lying if I said I'm not nervous/scared as well about integrating.. so wish me luck!) 

I finally saw my house! Unfortunately, they're not done building it so I can't move in until at least Monday. I'm currently staying in a hotel here until it's ready.. except the hotel I'm staying in this time is rather really a motel -3 stars because there's no running water and there's bugs and lizards in my room :( I also have to take cold bucket bath since I have nothing to boil water in. I definitely living the PCV life now.. 

Other highlights/things I've learned:
-I taught my host sister how to play velocidade (speed) and she loves it! :)

-I love staying in hotels!! I stayed in a hotel in Maputo before flying to Nampula and then stayed 3 nights in Nampula for the conference. It's so nice to take long hot shower instead of bucket baths! :D 

-I learned a technique from a friend here on how to trim my hair! I'm going to do this for the next 2 years haha

-Wiwanana (the org I'm working with) means 'together' in Macua. 
-It's about to feel like Christmas soon once I open my 2yr suitcase!! Can't wait to eat ramen and sour patch kids. I don't remember what else I packed in there but it's going to be so exciting!!
-Said goodbyes to my fellow Moz 20 this week also. I won't see them until 3 months later during Reconnect Conference :(
-I got a lot of shopping done for my new house so I'm excited to unpack and settle in.
-I don't have a bank in my town so Peace Corps will give me a bit extra each month so that I can travel to Chiure to do banking (and visit Elizabeth, scored!)

No comments:

Post a Comment