Monday, June 2, 2014

1 Year Mark

I've been in Mozambique for a year now! This past year flew by really fast. "Everything makes sense one year into Peace Corps service" I've heard that before and now that I'm almost at mid service [mid Aug is my mid service], this phrase is so true! I'd like to think that I've fully adjusted to the culture and life style here. I know how to bargain, how to get around, how to have a basic convo in the local language, and I love the local food. Dealing with 'Mozambican time' is still frustrating at times but I'm on board with 'just go with the flow' mentality now. I've also identified the needs of my workplace and community, know how things work, who to contact, who to go to and who to trust. Having built relationships, learning more about my community and having people getting to know more about me this past year will allow me to hopefully finish strong in my last year here. Everything is making sense and work is starting to pile up- I couldn't be more excited! :)

Here is a quick summary of what I've been up to this past month [mostly in pictures because I'm not much of a writer.. haha]:

Dia do Trabalhador May 1:
We paraded around town and attended the beginning of the ceremony before heading to Chiure for a work lunch party.
Matching capulanas with my coworkers
Showing off the bicycle ambulance [well motorcycle for that day]
Norte Forte Beer Olympics May 9-11:
I had a great weekend in Ilha with ~50 PCVs for the annual beer olympics! It was a nice weekend break from site and be surrounded by Americans and be reunited with fellow Moz20ers as well as meet new PCVs. We had 4 teams separated by provinces. The games were: shotgun relay, flip cup, pitcher chug, civil war, slam ball, beer pong, trivia, and tug of war. Cabo Delgado won!! Woot woot! :)
Ilha de Mocambique


The champions!
REDES Workshop May 16-19:
I brought 4 girls from my group to attend the 2 days workshop where they got to meet other groups, learned about women's health, reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, malaria, domestic violence, income generating project, how to make peanut butter, and had a chance to get HIV tested. When I invited the girls to the workshop, they were very excited because they never left the province before. The workshop was held in Monapo in Nampula province. It took us about 5 hours to get there with a private chapa. They had a great weekend of learning and making new friends.




Malaria Task Force Training May 28-31:
We had a 2 days training with the whole team [currently there's 6 of us] in Maputo. We learned about the basics of malaria, grants and budget, and how to run a ToT. We talked about the logistics, goal for the upcoming year, potential partnerships, and came up with a strategic plan. We have a lot of work planned for us and I'm excited to be a part of this awesome team!

Work:
I am working with my coordinator to start back up the Juventude e Saúde [youth and health] program. I am so excited!! My coordinator and I finished creating an action plan for a 3 months period starting end of June when I come back from my trips. We are planning to start with 3 schools in 3 different communities to teach them about HIV/AIDS, STDs, sexual reproductive health, sexual harassment, genders, and malaria. I will be running the program alongside with my coordinator. Once it's up and running, my org will hire someone to work with me and eventually take over for when I leave so that it can be sustainable.

REDES meeting:

April 29: Duct tape flower pen
May 13: Yoga session
We also played another malaria game where I had 2 teams competing in a relay race to identify good and bad behaviors in efforts to prevent malaria. I finally got my hands on Rosetta Stone English so I started using it to teach my girls English too. I love the program!! and they love it too :)

Hora das Crianças:
May 2: Practice writing letter 'E' and color princesses
May 22: letter 'F' & Winnie the Pooh pictures
Other highlights:
-My iphone, bank card and money were stolen in Namialo when I was getting off the chapa :( Despite getting my stuff stolen, I am so grateful to meet such nice people who helped me get back to my site!! I got a boleia (hitchhike ride) from Namialo to Silva Macua (about 3hr) from a Mozambican man and then another boleia from 2 Tanzanian men to Macomia cruzamento. I got to practice my Swahili (kind of.. I only remember how to say Hi, how are you? My name is Angela and Thank you haha) They asked me what am I going to do next when they dropped me off since they're not going my direction. I told them I was going to wait for another car to pass by. They then paid a guy to drive me home to Ancuabe!! I am so lucky to meet these generous people!! :)
-I gave away 2 of the kitties to my supervisor and PCVs from Pemba. These are my last picture with them :( Mini Zambie and Oddball. I still have Grey but PCVs from Macomia will adopt her next month. I think my Zambie is pregnant again! I need to do a family planning session with her according to my coworker haha


-I'm attending the Malaria Boot Camp in.... Senegal!!!! I am beyond excited for this opportunity and to travel to West Africa! Will blog about it next :) I am also attending Moz 22's PST in Namaacha right after Senegal to help out. I'll get a chance to visit my host family! :) :)


No comments:

Post a Comment