Friday, July 5, 2013

PST Week 5: July 4th and tests


I'm halfway done with training now! I finally hit that point where I'm feeling out of it and tired of training this week. I just wanted to stay in bed every morning haha. I was dreading Friday because of the mid LPI test but looking forward to Saturday for my mini vacation from training.

July 4th:
We had a party after training to celebrate. It was really fun to relax, hang out, and dance with everyone. Definitely the break I needed from feeling constantly tired this week. The wonderful visiting volunteers bought sausage and steak for us and we all buy/made more foods/drinks.





Mid LPI test & Round Robin test:
LPI (Language Proficiency Index) is an oral test so I've been trying to practice as much Portuguese as I can this week to prepare for it. I read to my mãe and irmã and they helped corrected my pronunication. I practiced conjugating the verbs to describe my daily routine in present, past tense, and imperfect. I think my LPI went pretty well.. the tape recorder made me a bit nervous though. I got asked about my routines here and in US (yes!! practiced the right stuff) but then there was role playing and asking about what type of HIV work I want to do here and the type of group I wanted to work with and why. I think I did okay for these part since I was able to understand and answer the questions but I didn't know much vocabs to expand on it.

Round Robin test has 4 sections: Core, Technical, Medical, and Safe & Security. At each section, I was asked 3-4 questions about the material we've been learning. It was pretty easy but the questions for tech was slightly harder to answer.

Other highlights/things I've learned:
-Iron Man 3 was on tv!! I was shock when I came across it. Maybe I won't be too behind on movies and music by the time I come back to the state :)
-My camera is fixed!! Soo happy!
-I got an email saying that I'm a marrow match for a female patient. I was so sad! The lady changed my status to temporary unavailable for now and will reinstate me when I come back. I replied and said that I'm willing to donate if they still need it by then. Hopefully they find another match soon!

-I saw a huge cockroach crawling INSIDE on my mosquito net!! This was supposed to be my safe spot :( I am leaving my net tucked in at all time now.
-I learned how to cook more dishes :) I probably will end up eating bread and peanut butter on days I'm too lazy to cook though haha

I miss rice cooker!
-A couple of us met up to exchange media. So excited to have more movies and tv shows to watch during down time once I get to site! 

-'Yesterday' is a really good film about HIV. It portrays the stigma, lack of knowledge and resources, lack of access to health services, and domestic abuse that exists here in Africa. 
-Finally received letters from Bryan :) Mail does take awhile to reach me here.. 3-4 weeks 
-I'm SO excited for my shadow site visit to Pemba, Cabo Delgado!! I get to fly across the country! I'm leaving tomorrow morning and I get back late afternoon on July 9th so I get to stay for the night at a hotel in Maputo and go back to Namaacha the next morning.. That means I get to SHOWER!!! With hot running water! Ahh luxury!! :) :) :)

Namaacha [A] to Pemba [B]

No comments:

Post a Comment