Saturday, July 13, 2013

PST Week 6: Shadow site visit




Shadow site visit:
I went with Melanie (fellow trainee) to visit Kelly (current PCV about to COS) in Pemba, Cabo Delgado. It was an awesome trip and a nice relaxing break from training. Kelly showed us around the city, share with us about her work and experiences and gave us really good advices. We met a lot of the education PCVs in Cabo Delgado as well

Sat: chilled at the beach, had dinner at a fancy restaurant then went to a discoteco
Melanie and I
Education PCVs
Haven't ate at a fancy restaurant for a long time! They even had complimentary bread with butter! haha
hitch hiked a free ride home :)
Sun: spent the entire day at Bush Camp. I got to cross off 2 things on my bucket list!
Pemba Bay
#117. Archery.. check!
#167. Kayaking.. check!
yummy all you can eat buffet


Mon: walked (a LOT) around the city. we went to the market, visited the health clinic, hospital (saw 2 dead bodies), walked through a lot of bairros, and went to the beach where we had a splash flight in the ocean with the local kids
the market
lunch was delicious!


crack open the coconut for us
my dinner: mapata com arroz.. really good!

Tues: we had lunch then flew back to Maputo. We stayed overnight at Hoyo Hoyo Hotel and managed to do a little shopping before it gets too dark. We were able to find shampoo (the hotel didn't have shampoo for us) and nail polish so it was a very good night! I got to use the SHOWER!! It feels so good to take long hot shower and feel super clean.
Melanie, Kelly, and I
The bed, shower, and AC felt so good!
Other highlights/things I've learned:
- I got to enjoy a real cup of coffee at the airport! Café com leite.. So yummy! I miss coffee :(
- I took my first outdoor COLD bucket bath at night this past week.. not a fan of it. Also ended up with 10ish mosquitos bites total from the 3 quick outdoor bucket baths
- Hitchhiking is the way of life here
- I had my 2nd interview this week after getting back from site visit. We talked about my preference for site placement. I want to work with an HIV/AIDS organization in a rural medium sized community that's within 1-2 hours from a city and a volunteer. I also want a toilet, running water, coastal site placement, and site mates.. but these are wishful thinkings :( 
- I got my mid-LPI result back. I ranked intermediate low, which was better than I thought I did so yay! I need intermediate med to considered as 'passing'. I'm pretty sure I want/need a Portuguese tutor still when I get to site.
- I received Lisa's card and pictures! I wanted to go to Maputo (a lil over an hour away) print out pictures to give to my host family so I was really surprised and happy when I got this! :) 
Thank you Lisa!!  
- I finished making my first micro palestra (small lecture) that I have to present on Monday to my language group!
HIV Transmission

1 comment:

  1. This looks great Angela!! It was so nice hosting you!! Really enjoyed meeting you. Please keep posting updates and pics so I can follow you when I'm back home!!

    Kelly :-)

    ReplyDelete