Thursday, June 6, 2013

Moving in with my host family

Sunday 6/2/13

We checked out of our hotel today and had a home stay orientation at PC headquarter before we head to our training site in Namaacha. After an hour ride, we arrived at the hub (our training center) and our mães (mothers) were already there waiting for us. They sang a song for us and then held up a sign with our name. When I saw my name, I went to my mãe and she was so happy and welcoming. She held my hand as we walked back to the house for lunch. During lunch, I realized how eager I am to learn Portuguese because it was frustrating not knowing how to talk and apparently I`m not that good at charade hahah I have a mãe, 2 irmãos (big brother n 14yr old sister) and sobrinha (niece who is 4 yr old). I also met my other 2 sisters, my brother's girlfriend, and my nephew. From my broken portuguese I learned that my mãe has 7 children but only 2 lives with her.. which was the info I received before meeting my host family. When my mãe was telling me how many children was living with her, she said 3 and then listed them: Euclísia, Evandro, and Angela.. I'm pretty sure the next 10 weeks with my host family is going to be amazing already!! :)

more about my family:
my mãe is in her 50s and shes a seller. my irmão is a physic teacher and my irmã is a 10th grade student.. thats about all I know so far. they are all so nice patient and welcoming so far and treats me like a family member already

After lunch my irmã helped me put up my mosquito net and I assembled my water filter. Then I had a language interview at the hub. I don't think it went that well.. haha I was able to answer some questions but the rest, I just gave the interviewee a confused/blank stare. There were some questions that I understood but I didn't know how to respond in Portuguese :( Can't wait for language training to start! 

I went back to my house to unpack and organize my new room. My room is really small.. about 7x7 feet so it's a challenge figuring out where to put my things. It's like playing tetris whenever I have to take something in and out. Also, Peace Corps gave us a ton of books for training! 



I had spaghetti with fish for dinner and papaya after dinner. Yup..fish and papaya. Baby steps! So far so good.. By the time I finish service, I'll be less of a picky eater for sure hahah

I took my first bucket bath today! It wasn't too bad. My irmã boiled water for me so I didn't have to take a cold water bath. I feel spoiled already! haha I learned a really good tip on bucket bath today from a current PCV. I dipped my whole head into the bucket to wet my hair first instead of pouring water over myself. This way saves so much more water! I was able to bathe myself and hand wash my undie in half a bucket of water. Pretty proud of myself :)

more about my house:
i have electricity, a toilet (it doesnt flush, i just have to pour water into it but yay i dont have to use latrine yet), a tub where i take my bucket bath in, and  no running water or gas. I get a pee pee bucket outside my room in case I need to go at night since the main house is locked at night and thats where the bathroom is. My room is part of an outhouse so I had to walk across the backyard to get to it. There are big steps, random stones, and chickens running all over so I've been looking at the ground the whole night (yet I still managed to trip over a couple of times..) After my bath tonight, I was going back to my room to put things away when I noticed the sky for the first time here. It was beautifullll!! Sooo many bright stars.. I just stood outside staring at the sky for a few seconds and then it hit me, I'm in Africa! I live here now.. crazy feeling (the good kind)!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad things are going so well for you! Learning Portuguese and bucket baths sound like great fun! I will stay posted on your adventures. Home is wherever you make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happens if you have to poop at night? =/

    ReplyDelete