Saturday, June 22, 2013

PST Week 3: Cross Culture Cooking and Permagardening

                                    

This week felt faster than the previous 2 weeks. Lots of exciting things this week. 

Cross culture cooking:
My language group spent the whole morning (4-5 hours) cooking American food for our mães and they cooked Mozambican food for us. We made veggies patty, mashed potatoes, guacamole and salad. They made rice, grilled chicken, and folha de abóbora (my fave Mozambican dish so far). The amount of work put into preparing lunch is unbelievable! It takes a lot of efforts doing everything from scratch. Thank goodness we didn't have to kill the chicken ourselves. I had to help skin it though. I only ate a small piece of chicken afterward but I felt really bad :( I don't think I can eat much meat for the next two years if I have to kill and make it myself :( 

us with our host moms
crushing and grinding peanuts
scraping coconut meat
Herbert the chicken.. before he died. Sorry buddy ):
Time to finally eat! :)
Shadow visit site:
During week 6, we get to shadow a current PCV to see how they live and work. The selection was randomly assigned (we picked out of an envelope) I was hoping for a site up north and... I got it!! Im going to Pemba, Cabo Delgado!! I'm super excited!!  

Permagardening:
Agriculture is hard work! We learned how to make compost pile and then we made the garden. We learned how to develop water controlling swales and berms, how to double dig, and prepare the soil for optimal growth. 
making the border of the garden
End of day 1
Finished! End of day 2.
Other highlights/things I've learned this week:
-I got a 90% on my first Portuguese test! It was a written test though. I'm much better at reading and writing.. my speaking and listening skills still sucks though :( 
-I got my modem stick this week so I was finally able to upload pictures onto facebook for friends and family to see. Yay! 
-Carl, our country director, made delicious chocolate pecan pies for us
-A group of little girls caught up to me when I was walking back from training and asked me to try on their sunglasses.. so random haha
-I practiced with another trainee for the next ngoma time. We're going to do a short self defense act :)
-I found the lizard that was in my room last week (or it could be another lizard). I was taking a nap when I heard noises in my plastic bag of dirty clothes. I managed to get my clothes out and tied the bag to bring it outside of my room. I jumped and dropped the bag on the ground outside when it moved. My empregada was outside and saw that I was scared.. but I didnt know how to say lizard in portuguese :( She laughed after she realized what it was... hahah :( 
-There are some political unrest right now in Mozambique between Renamo and Frelimo but don't worry, I'm safe in Namaacha. 

No comments:

Post a Comment