Saturday, June 8, 2013

PST Week 1


Just finished our 1st week of training! This week felt a lot longer than it really is. We all felt like we've been here much longer.. probably because our day is so full with information and learning and we get exhaused at the end of the day.

This is what my daily routine look like this past week:
- 6:40am get out of bed (earlier on days i have to sweep and mop my bedroom)
- 7am breakfast
- 7:30-12pm training 
- 12-1:30pm lunch
- 1:30-4:30pm training
- 4:30-5:30pm hang out with other volunteers for a bit or go to the nearby hotel to freeload wifi (it gets dark by 5:30ish so I get to get home before it gets pitch black.. part of the road to my house has no lights)
- 5:30-7pm help mãe cook dinner
- 7-8pm dinner and shower
- 8-9pm ish spend time with family (watch tv/portuguese lessons with my mãe/do homework)
- knock out by 10:30 at the latest

Highlights of this week:
-My mãe taught me how to cook some dish and I also learned how to light charcoal. Cooking without a gas stove is hard already, try cooking outdoor using charcoals and woods with just an old cell phone light! So i gave my mãe the headlamp that i bought over as a gift this week since it was perfect timing. She loved it! :) 
-A local guy imitated karate moves as I walked past by.. I've been warned during staging that they will most likely assume that all asian are Chinese and that all asian knows martial arts.. in my case, they're right about one thing! haha)
-I told my mãe and irmã that portuguese is not easy but they heard "portuguese is not happy" instead :( they gave me such a confused look.. haha I'm having so much problem with pronunicating! portuguese is harder than spanish :( This is my language group (excuse the picture quality, I took a pic of my camera since I can't upload them yet)

-I took my 2nd dosage of rabies vaccine.. one more shot left then im done with shots for awhile! :)
-I handwashed my clothes for the first time.. it is hard work!! If I can, I refuse to wear jeans here.. they are so heavy and much harder to wring. I am going to build muscles from just hand washing my clothes for the next 27 months..

-I appreciate all the little things in America so much more now. Everything that is basic and simple to do in America is so much more work to do here (taking a shower, making food, washing clothes, even washing my hands)
-The visiting PCV threw us a party on Fri night and it was really fun! I think this is the first time I went to a party at 4:30pm and left at 6:30pm (our curfew is 7:30pm) it was pitch black when I walked home, thank goodness for flashlight app on my phone! 
-Discovering that there's a hotel (about 25min walk from my house) that offers free wifi. It's been the new hotspot for our Moz 20 group in my opinion haha but recently I switched from Mcel to Vodacom (phone services) and converted airtime to internet so now I have wifi on my phone! It feels awesome being able to connect with friends and family again. 
-I'm getting used to saying good morning/good afternoon/hi/how are you to EVERYONE i walk past by. I'm liking this behavior change.. it's so different from America where you don't really talk to strangers passing by. Everyone here seems so nice so far.
-We tried to hike to the waterfall but realized it's really far and would get dark by the time we walk back so we turned around. The view was amazing though!

-I love my Moz 20 group! Everyone is amazing and has so much talents to offer to the group.
-Finally took a picture of some of my host family. Will take more on my camera later. 
my host mom, sister, and niece

-The dog and rooster nearby keeps having loud arguments between 4:30-5:30am the past few days.. I need to find those ear plugs I packed :(

No comments:

Post a Comment